Dinner at Hostellerie de Plaisance
Chateau Saint Georges
Bordeaux St Emilion Wine Holiday
This enjoyable short wine break has the delightful wine town of St Emilion as its base, which is undoubtedly the loveliest town in the region.
The picturesque medieval hilltop town of St Emilion has a maze of cobbled streets and ancient buildings – the two dominant monuments are the hilltop spire and the keep, both commanding good views over the rooftops. The famous 8th-12th century Monolithic church is the largest underground church in Europe hewn out of solid limestone. Apart form the numerous wine shops in the village (where you can often taste some wines too) you must try the other local speciality, macaroons. There is also an excellent modern wine-tasting bar, where you can even taste the First Growths by the glass.
We have chosen to base this weekend in the centre of St Emilion at either a 3* family run hotel with outdoor pool or a superb 5*hotel with Michelin double rosette restaurant. This means that you have free time to explore the town on foot and to easily take advantage of the excellent wine bars and cafes.
Outline itinerary for St Emilion Wine Holiday Weekend
- You can arrive at Bordeaux airport, Bordeaux train station, Libourne train station (this is the nearest point to St Emilion) or Bergerac airport. Arrange your own taxi on the spot or self-drive car hire arrangements or self-drive from anywhere in France.
- Evening – You are free to dine at your choice of restaurant this evening. We will provide you with the Arblaster & Clarke Wine Tours restaurant list for St Emilion pre-tour so that you can either pre-book or make your choice on the spot, or if you are staying at te superb 5*, we will automatically book you a table tonight in their outstanding Michelin double star restaurant.
Day Two (this cannot be a Sunday)
- Breakfast at the hotel.
- At 0930/10.00 your local guide will meet you to take you on a tour on foot for a visit and tasting at three chateaux in and near St Emilion (total distance walked will not exceed 3 miles, this is an easy and interesting way to reach the chateaux as the distances are not great)
- You’ll pause for lunch in the village during the day.
- Free evening in St Emilion
- Breakfast at the hotel.
- You can arrange for your hotel to book a taxi for you to return to Bordeaux airport, Bordeaux train station, Libourne train station or Bergerac airport.
- Two nights in 3* hotel (upgrade to standard room in 5* – £225 per person in twin/double)
- Breakfast on both mornings
- Private day trip on foot to three St Emilion chateaux with tastings (these will normally be of the latest vintage due to the negotiant system).
- Wine notes, maps and local restaurant suggestions for you to use to make your own restaurant bookings before or on the spot.
Dates possible: The price applies to departures throughout the year with bookings made at least 14 weeks in advance, but UK Bank Holiday weekends and Mid-September to the end of October departures incur a 10% supplement. The trip is not possible during French bank holidays or in August.
All prices are NET web prices and not available via third party booking/travel agents.
If the exact itinerary shown here does not suit you, we can design a bespoke tour to your requirements, though this will be significantly more expensive. Please advise us of your requirements and what your higher budget is.
Please contact us with your payment details. On receipt of this information we will check availability. Should there be availability at the hotel on the required dates, your card will be debited of the package price quoted per person. Should we be unable to match the price quoted above we will of course contact you directly to discuss your options.
Deposit: Full payment is required at time of booking.
Price based on standard twin/double and the number of participants as shown
Please note that if your party size drops at any time after booking the per person price will be that of the remaining party size but deposits from those who cancel will be transfered to the remaining party, less a £50 administration fee.
(All prices are net web offers and not available in our brochure or via travel agents).